I’m going to give you three good reasons why you should venture out of your ‘pasta-every-night’ rut tonight to make New Orleans Jambalaya.
- You can say that you casually ‘threw’ something together for dinner, but all these tossed in ingredients turn into a scrumptious meal.
- You can add any meat you like – literally any and as much meat as you’d like. You go carnivores!
- And finally, you have an excuse to clean out the spice cupboard because this dish allows you the choice to make it mild, medium or extra hot. Bring on the Cajun.
Don’t be scared. Jambalaya starts with a few basic ingredients – rice, meat (chicken, shrimp and sausage are the usual three in the New Orleans style jambalaya), and veggies such as onions, peppers and tomatoes. This is a dish that is perfect to feed a hungry bunch, like your entire family and friends. Jambalaya comes in one size portion – large! With its bold flavour and freedom to choose which meats and veggies you like best, it’s soon to be one of your favourite meals to make.
For my dish, I chose white rice, a slew of veggies and chicken and sausage for the two meats. I missed putting in the prawns and felt that I didn’t do my meal justice for this Louisiana favourite. I’m sorry America!
Seafood is always a good choice to give a new texture and taste to your meal. If you find yourself seeking the full jambalaya experience, don’t leave out the basic three meats – chicken, sausage and prawns.
Making jambalaya isn’t a task for the quick cook. The meats and veggies need to cook first, then add in the rice a bit of chicken stock. Some like to cook the rice with the veggies and meat, but I cook the rice separately to save time. This dish will take about an hour to make with constant chopping and stirring. But grabbing a friend to help you, like my trusty cooking sidekick B will make the cooking process fun. By the end of the hour you’ll be glad you joined in on this tasty experience. Grab your pans and start cooking up your favourite meats! This meal is going to soon be on your “Yes, I’m definitely making that again” list!
What you’ll need:
- Rice (brown or white)
- Shrimp or prawns
- Onions (white and green)
- Bell Peppers (any colour)
- Tomato Puree
- Chicken Stock
- Salt and Pepper
- Cajun spices
Steps to make:
- Cook up the meat in a saucepan on the stovetop. Add in the butter or spray to keep your meat from sticking.
- Sauté your veggies. I tossed all of mine in at once but you can do them gradually if you like one cooked more than the others.
- Cook the rice until tender.
- Once all your veggies, meats are cooked through and the rice is ready, put the three together in the same pan. Better make it large one! Immediately add in the chicken stock and a dash of water to mix the stock with.
- Add in your spices to your liking, give it good stir and serve.
Here’s the link to our jambalaya and Lincolnshire Rarebit video.