Jalapeño Poppers – The perfect partner for American Football Fun

end product

There’s one thing that every sports fan can agree on – chowing down on a few fattening foods is a big part of the game experience.

B and I can definitely agree to that, so I introduced her to the American football favourite, jalapeño poppers. Breaded peppers stuffed with multiple types of cheese, it’s the perfect finger food to pop in with one hand and cheer for the team with the other.

If you’re in the UK, it may be difficult to find fresh jalapeño peppers. I know it was for me. Pick up some red and green chillies, they’ll do the trick. Green chillies are the spicier of the two colours. The red have a milder almost sweet flavour.

B and I are advocates to keep our girlish figures, and since these peppers are stuffed with double cheese, they aren’t on our every day snack list. I picked up ‘Lightest Philadelphia’ cream cheese. Didn’t make our guilty pleasures any less fattening, but we did trick ourselves to believe it for a bit of food indulgence.

The original recipe called for frying oil. Now I have no idea what that is, but I used extra virgin olive oil. I bit of ‘E-V-O-O’ as chef Rachel Ray would say is a staple in any kitchen. It gives a lighter flavour but browns the breadcrumb covered peppers to perfection.

Now when it comes to cheese, you have to have the cream cheese to make the solid sticky consistency. For the shredded cheese that mixes with the cream cheese, take your pick. I used extra mature cheddar. This was a bit too sharp for my taste, so perhaps a pepper jack or simple cheddar cheese would be a nicer choice. Any cheese you choose, it’s all gong to get mixed together into a beautiful cheese heaven consistency.

Final tip before your game treats, don’t worry about measurements. Add as you go. I bought half a tub of cream cheese for 10 small peppers. This was a mistake. I could only put so much cheese mixture in the peppers and had a large bowl of leftover cheese mixture. But on the upside, it is a delicious dip for crackers or crisps!

Enjoy fried food lovers.

Ingredients:

• Cream Cheese
  • Bacon (raw cubed pieces)
  • Shredded cheese
  • Jalapeño peppers or large chillies
  • Milk
  • Flour
  • Breadcrumbs
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Breadcrumbs
All the ingredients for delicious stuffed peppers

Get Cookin’

1. Cook the bacon. Fry it up nice and crispy. You can also use bacon bits, but I like fresh cooked bacon rather than pre-packaged and dried.
  2. Grab a bowl and mix together just enough cream cheese, shredded cheese and small bacon pieces. Mush it together. This is your pepper stuffing.

Cheeze and bacon mixture

Cheese and bacon mixture

3. Wash and slice the peppers in half. Remove the seeds if you don’t want a spicy surprise. Use a small spoon to fill peppers with the bacon and cheese mixture.raw pepper

Cheese and Bacon Stuffed

Cheese and Bacon Stuffed

4. Separate the milk, flour and breadcrumbs into three separate bowls. Pour a bit of oil into a round bottom pan. Start heating the oil on the stove top. Make sure the pan is filled with enough oil to cover each pepper.
  5. Dip the stuffed pepper into the milk, then roll in flour. Let the powdered peppers dry for a few minutes, then dip in the milk again and roll in breadcrumbs. Again, let them dry for a few minutes. A third dip in the milk and coat a final layer with breadcrumbs.grossy
  6. Put coated pepper into the oil. Use a fork or tongs to flip quite constantly to ensure they do not burn on one side. Remove and enjoy once the peppers and golden brown on all sides.

One thought on “Jalapeño Poppers – The perfect partner for American Football Fun

1. Wonderful goods from you, man. I have take into account your
    stuff previous to and you’re simply too great. I actually like what you’ve got
    right here, really like what you’re stating and the way
    in which by which you are saying it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to stay
    it wise. I can’t wait to read much more from you.
    That is actually a wonderful web site.